Plot & Details
Two women struggle with their personal demons as well as their troubled bonds in this independent drama. Rosie (Lily Wheelwright) and Sonia (James Katharine Flynn) are two sisters in their twenties who haven't seen one another in five years, having been on bad terms since their parents died in an auto accident. Despite their differences, Sonia asks Rosie to come home for her birthday party, and Rosie agrees. The party turns out to be a two-person affair held in an old farmhouse in the midst of a blizzard, and as the siblings try to buffer their tensions with drugs and alcohol, they bond in an alternately loving and painful manner as they confront their pasts. However, Sonia's troubling attempts to reconcile with Rosie leads to a surprising request Rosie isn't certain she can fulfill. The first feature film from writer and director Ry Russo-Young, Orphans was screened as part of the 2007 South by Southwest Film Festival, where her short film Marion was an award-winner in 2006.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 80min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/25/2007
- DVD Release Date: 09/30/2008
- Director(s): Ry Russo-Young
- Starring: Lily Wheelwright , James Katharine Flynn
- Themes: Families in Crisis,Keeping a Secret,Haunted By the Past,Sibling Relationships
- Tone: Bleak,Cathartic,Grim,Harsh,Intimate
- Keywords: alcohol, blizzard, drugs, farmhouse, inner-conflict
- Language: English