Plot & Details
Outback was based on Kenneth Cook's novel Wake in Fright. Gary Bond plays a naive young Australian teacher who is tragically unprepared for his new position in the outback. The community he has been sent to is populated almost exclusively by amoral, primitive toughs, more interested in slaughtering kangaroos and sexual carousing than in such niceties as education or propriety. The methodical shattering of Bond's dearly held values plunge the young teacher deeper into degeneracy. Outback was so graphic in its original Australian version that 15 minutes had to be cut before American distributor Group W would consider touching it.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Thriller
- Run Time: 116min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/05/2012
- DVD Release Date: 01/15/2013
- Distributor(s): Drafthouse Films
- Director(s): Ted Kotcheff
- Starring: John Armstrong , Norman Erskine , Gary Bond , Peter Whittle , Harry Lawrence
- Themes: Fish Out of Water
- Tone: Disturbing,Tense,Downbeat,Harsh,Ominous,Haunting
- Keywords: Australian [nationality],Outback,primitive,schoolteacher,sex,values
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-05-2012)
- Language: English