Plot & Details
Based on a play by Ruth Gordon, Over 21 represents the felicitous teaming of two middle-aged but attractive film favorites. Alexander Knox plays newspaper editor Max Wharton, who despite his age, patriotically signs up for Officer Candidate School. The humor arises from the fact that Wharton has trouble adjusting to the rigors of Army life, not to mention the good-natured competition of much-younger OCS aspirants. Meanwhile, Wharton's wife Paula (Irene Dunne) does her best to accommodate her husband's peripatetic military existence, and to ward off Wharton's boss Robert Gow (Charles Coburn), who insists that Max give up this "nonsense" and return to civilian life. Sharply directed and cleverly cast, Over 21 still delivers a full quota of laughs despite the dated quality of the storyline.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,War
- Run Time: 104min.
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Charles Vidor
- Starring: Irene Dunne , Alexander Knox , Charles Coburn , Jeff Donnell , Loren Tindall
- Keywords: army,basic-training [military],conflict,discipline,employment,home,life,lifestyle,middle-age,military,officer,problems,publisher,service,survivor,training,war,wife,writing