Plot & Details
Adapted from the one-act play by Hugh Whitemore, Pack of Lies originally aired as a "Hallmark Hall of Fame" presentation on April 26, 1987. Emmy-nominated Ellen Burstyn plays a Canadian housewife living in England, who dutifully allows a government agent (Alan Bates) into her house. The agent sets up a surveillance post in Burstyn's bedroom, ostensibly to keep close watch on a mysterious stranger. In truth, the agent is investigating Burstyn's neighbors Daniel Benzali and Terri Garr--who happen to be her best friends. Pack of Lies was based on a true story, which like its fictional counterpart coalesced into a melange of skewered ethics, deception and betrayal.
- Genre(s): Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 100min.
- DVD Release Date: 05/16/2006
- Director(s): Anthony Page
- Themes: Faltering Friendships,Women's Friendship
- Tone: Disturbing,Intimate,Literate,Matter-of-Fact,Poignant,Talky
- Keywords: neighbor, suburbs, surveillance, betrayal, espionage, friendship, stakeout, war
- Language: English