Plot & Details
Three likable losers attempt "a momentary shift in lifestyle" by becoming part-time thieves in this comedy. Russ (Vincent Gallo) is living with his family, who don't get along especially well, and he fools around with the teenage girl who lives next door. Jerry (Adam Trese) is married to Betty (Linda Gay Hamilton), who -- unlike her husband -- has a job and wants to keep it, even if that means having an affair with her boss. And Sid (William Forsythe) has a soft spot for dogs, which helped derail his plans for a taxi service for senior citizens. All three guys are out of work and need quick money; Russ comes up with a plan to rob a jewelry store, but things go haywire when they accidentally break into a bakery instead, though they at least make off with a large supply of doughnuts. Despite their initial failure as criminals, the would-be thieves raise their sights and plan to knock over an armored car, but they soon discover just how far out of their league they really are. Palookaville was based on a series of short stories by Italian writer Italo Calvino.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/25/1996
- DVD Release Date: 04/01/2003
- Distributor(s): Metrodome
- Director(s): Alan Taylor
- Starring: William Forsythe , Vincent Gallo , Adam Trese , Lisa Gay Hamilton , Frances McDormand
- Themes: Unlikely Criminals,Sibling Relationships
- Keywords: poverty, working-class, armored-car-robbery, opal, robbery
- Language: English