Plot & Details
Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky return yet again to the case of the West Memphis Three, a trio of men who, as teenagers, were arrested for the brutal murders of three elementary school kids. The directors explain how Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley Jr. were arrested for the crime, and then details how evidence has mounted in the nearly 20 years since then indicating that none of them had anything to do with the crime. The filmmakers centerpiece is an attempt by the threesome's legal team to earn them a new hearing by getting the Arkansas State supreme court to define what kind of new evidence can be admitted into evidence when an old murder case is reopened because of new DNA testing. Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory played at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 106min.
- DVD Release Date: 08/14/2012
- Director(s): Joe Berlinger, Bruce Sinofsky
- Themes: Miscarriage of Justice,Clearing One's Name,Murder Investigations
- Tone: Disturbing,Forceful,Ominous
- Keywords: DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid),accusation,exoneration,hearing [procedure],innocence,revelation,teenagers,trial [courtroom]
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (zz-zz-2012)
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|2011||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Documentary Feature||Charles Ferguson||Nominated|
|2011||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Documentary Feature||Audrey Marrs||Nominated|