Plot & Details
In this bizarre and very black comedy set in 1950s suburbia, Michael Laemle (Bryan Madorsky) comes to suspect that his conventional parents (Randy Quaid and Mary Beth Hurt) have a little secret which they have kept from him. Nothing too major - - just that they happen to be cannibals. It seems that Dad has been bringing home some extra meat from his place of work, a mortuary. As the lad grows ever more hysterical, he confesses his suspicions to the school psychologist (Sandy Dennis). She ridicules his notions and even comes to the house to show him how foolish he's being. Instead, she becomes an entree in the next family dinner, as Michael's parents attempt to indoctrinate him into their odd lifestyle.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 81min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/13/2002
- DVD Release Date: 05/25/1999
- Distributor(s): USA
- Director(s): Bob Balaban
- Starring: Randy Quaid , Mary Beth Hurt , Sandy Dennis , Bryan Madorsky , Juno Mills-Cockell
- Themes: Suburban Dysfunction,Eccentric Families,Mischievous Children,Cannibals
- Tone: Enigmatic,Humorous,Eerie,Quirky,Satirical,Tense,Chilly,Nostalgic,Stylized,Grotesque
- Keywords: bizarre,boy,cannibal,child,childhood,coming-of-age,family,meals,meat,middle-class,parent,sexuality,suburbs,suspicion
- Country of Origin: USA (01-27-1989)
- Language: English