Plot & Details
The "Scarlet Pimpernel" legend is updated to WW2 in the breathless actioner Pimpernel Smith. Leslie Howard (who also directed) plays bespectacled and seemingly mild-mannered Professor Smith, who under cover of darkness transforms into a tireless defender of democracy. With the help of several loyal companions, Smith makes several forays into Nazi-occupied territories to rescue the oppressed victims of the Third Reich, using a phony archeological expedition to throw the villains off the track. The picture really roars into life during the cat-and-mouse exchanges between the Professor and his Gestapo antagonist Von Graum, phlegmatically enacted by the corpulent Francis L. Sullivan. In some markets, Pimpernel Smith was retitled Mister V.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller,War
- Run Time: 121min.
- Distributor(s): Anglo-American Films
- Director(s): Leslie Howard
- Starring: Leslie Howard , Francis L. Sullivan , Mary Morris , Peter Gawthorne
- Themes: Daring Rescues,Double Life
- Tone: Rousing,Sweeping
- Keywords: Gestapo, border [geographic], escape, mind, moving, Nazism, agent [representative], archaeology, disguise, professor, refugee, rescue, resistance, undercover, war