Plot & Details
Public safety takes a turn for the worse in this hit comedy, which spawned a long-running franchise. As a crime wave sweeps through a major city, the mayor decides that part of the problem may stem from overly restrictive qualifications for police officers, so she opens the door of the city's Police Academy to anyone who wants to join. Soon, the new class is overrun with misfits and losers, including Carey Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg), who is given the choice of joining the force or going to jail; Karen Thompson (Kim Cattrall), a pretty cadet whom Mahoney has his eye on; Moses Hightower (Bubba Smith), a mountain of a man who likes to tend flowers; and Larvell Jones (Michael Winslow), who has an uncanny ability to imitate the sound of practically anything. Constantly befuddled Commandant Lassard (George Gaynes) and his lackey, Lt. Harris (G.W. Bailey), are none too thrilled with their new charges, but as they try to wash their hands of the cadets, Mahoney and his classmates become all the more determined to make good. The surprising success of Police Academy spawned six sequels and two TV series.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Crime and Mystery
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/16/1984
- DVD Release Date: 10/01/1997
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Director(s): Hugh Wilson
- Starring: Steve Guttenberg , G.W. Bailey , George Gaynes , Michael Winslow , Kim Cattrall
- Themes: Arrested Adolescence,Rookie Cops,Bumbling Cops
- Tone: Irreverent,Light,Madcap,Racy,Upbeat,Goofy,Silly
- Keywords: bumbler,chaos,con/scam,misfit,police,police-academy,robbery,training,urban
- Country of Origin: USA (03-21-1986),USA (04-03-1987),USA (03-18-1988),USA (03-23-19
- Language: English