Plot & Details
This comic spoof is spun off from a character that first appeared on The Chris Rock Show, and is written and directed by Louis C.K., one of that show's producers. Lance Crouther stars as Pootie Tang, a crime fighting superhero and recording artist who speaks in an unintelligible gibberish that seems to be a combination of Ebonics and street slang. Despite his communication problem, Pootie is a hero to children, whom he attempts to protect from the evil Dick Lecter (Robert Vaughn), a corporate fat cat out to corrupt America's youth with alcohol, tobacco, and junk food. Pootie also runs up against an artistic imitator (David Cross) and a sleazy recording executive (Andy Richter) Pootie Tang co-stars Chris Rock, Dave Attell, and Bob Costas and Conan O'Brien as themselves.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 81min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/29/2001
- DVD Release Date: 11/27/2001
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Louis C.K.
- Starring: Lance Crouther , Jennifer Coolidge , Wanda Sykes , Robert Vaughn , Chris Rock
- Themes: Fighting the System,Heroic Mission,Righting the Wronged
- Tone: Campy,Goofy,Humorous,Light,Frantic,Rousing,Satirical,Silly,Stylized,Witty,Earthy
- Keywords: African-American,Black [race],Superhero,business-ethics,culture [social culture],language,record [phonographic]
- Country of Origin: USA (06-29-2001)
- Language: English