Plot & Details
A Booth Tarkington novel was the source for the so-so Judy Garland musical Presenting Lily Mars. Garland plays the title character, a small-town girl with big-city ambitions. She heads to Broadway hoping for stardom, but after a series of disappointments the best she can manage is an understudy job. That's right, folks: the star walks out on opening night, Lily goes on in her place, and the audience boos and throws rotten tomatoes (just kidding: Lily's a sensation, of course). Van Heflin costars as a young producer who falls in love with Lily, but who avoids bestowing upon her instant stardom for fear of being accused of favoritism. Naturally, Judy Garland gets to sing a lot, and whenever she does the picture soars; other musical acts include the orchestras of Bob Crosby and Tommy Dorsey.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/10/2006
- DVD Release Date: 12/19/2006
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): Norman Taurog
- Starring: Judy Garland , Van Heflin , Fay Bainter , Marta Eggerth , Spring Byington
- Themes: Actor's Life
- Tone: Bright,Light,Upbeat
- Keywords: actor, backstage, country-girl, love, musical [play], romance, songwriter, stars [celebrities], success, big-break