Plot & Details
John Garfield stars as Al Schmid, a true-life marine who served in World War II. Schmid becomes a hero at Guadalcanal, defending a machine gun post and killing 200 Japanese before he is permanently blinded by a grenade. Despite being awarded the Navy Cross, Schmid returns home embittered by his disability. After a long and grueling convalescence, he is shaken back to life by his girl friend Ruth (Eleanor Parker) and his best pal (Dane Clark), neither of whom allow Al to wallow in self-pity. The pride in Pride of the Marines comes from Al Schmid's ultimate realization that his sacrifice was worthwhile, and that his sightlessness need not prevent him from leading a full and rewarding life.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 119min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/12/1995
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Delmer Daves
- Starring: John Garfield , Eleanor Parker , Dane Clark , Ann Doran , John Ridgely
- Themes: Home From the War,Living With Disability,Great Battles
- Tone: Bittersweet,Forceful,Gritty,Tense,Stirring
- Keywords: America, Christmas, Japan, Navy, argument, attack, battle [war], civilian, conflict, consciousness, crew, curiosity [inquisitiveness], doctor/nurse, enemy, escort, fear, fire, forces [military], grenade, home, hope
- Language: English