Plot & Details
Hal Foster's Sunday-comics saga of a young Viking prince in the service of King Arthur is brought to the screen in CinemaScope and Technicolor in Prince Valiant. Despite the fact that he sports a dutch bob that makes him look like actress Phyllis Kirk, Robert Wagner is quite virile and convincing as the title character. Trained for the Round Table by Sir Gawain (Sterling Hayden), Valiant takes time out to fall in love with the beautiful Princess Aleta (Janet Leigh). The villain of the piece is The Black Knight, aka Sir Brack (top-billed James Mason), who intends to topple King Arthur (Brian Aherne) from his throne, then conquer Valiant's people in Scandia. But Prince Valiant proves a fearsome opponent to the usurping Sir Brack. Sadly, most currently available prints of Prince Valiant have been panned-and-scanned, denying viewers the opportunity to revel in Henry Hathaway's creative utilization of the CinemaScope format.
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 100min.
- DVD Release Date: 05/11/2004
- Director(s): Henry Hathaway
- Starring: James Mason , Janet Leigh , Robert Wagner , Debra Paget , Sterling Hayden
- Themes: Knights and Ladies
- Tone: Atmospheric,Lavish,Tense
- Keywords: aristocracy, conflict, evil, journey, prince, rival, throne, tyrant, against-all-odds, bad-guy, family, good-guy, swashbuckler