Plot & Details
This kooky British comedy chronicles the zany and occasionally dramatic exploits of the Song and Dance Unit, Southeast Asia (SADUSEA, pronounced "sad-you-see") assigned to entertain troops stationed in the Malayan jungle during WW II. It is based on a play by Peter Nichols. The entertainers are led by the rigid Major Giles Flack. Much to Flack's discomfiture, most of his unit is gay and enjoys dressing up in drag. The film also contains a serious subplot about a treacherous cad in the group who gets the only real woman in the troupe pregnant and then abuses her. He also steals ammo and information to give to the enemy. In the end, a terrible battle ensues at his hands.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 100min.
- DVD Release Date: 04/01/2003
- Director(s): Michael Blakemore
- Starring: John Cleese , Denis Quilley , Nicola Pagett , Patrick Pearson , Michael Elphick
- Themes: Military Life
- Tone: Bittersweet,Goofy,Upbeat
- Keywords: entertainer, homosexual, jungle, officer, troops, British, drag-queen, military, song-and-dance-team
- Language: English