Plot & Details
First-time writer/director Scott Burns spins this suspenseful yarn about a nuclear technician who has a curious encounter with a notoriously violent Russian gangster (Nikolaj Lie Kaas). The year is 1995, and Timofey (Paddy Considine) is a nuclear power-plant worker in post-Soviet Russia. After being exposed to dangerous levels of radiation while working to avert a disaster, Timofey discovers that the authorities have deliberately misled him about the severity of his exposure, and that he will likely die in just a few days. Determined to provide for his wife (Radha Mitchell) and young son before he succumbs to the effects of radiation, Timofey absconds with a small amount of weapons grade plutonium, straps the vial to his body, and makes his way to Moscow in hopes of making a quick and profitable sale in the criminal underground. This is the "new Russia," where everything has its price, and Timofey is determined to secure his family's future even if he himself has none. Oscar Issac and Jason Flemyng co-star in a film produced by Section Eight and Beacon Pictures for HBO Films, and distributed by Picturehouse.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama
- Run Time: 107min.
- DVD Release Date: 03/25/2008
- Distributor(s): Picturehouse
- Director(s): Scott Z. Burns
- Starring: Paddy Considine , Radha Mitchell , Oscar Isaac , Jason Flemyng , Nikolaj Lie Kaas
- Themes: Whistleblowers,Criminal's Revenge,Hired Killers,Race Against Time,Mafia Life,Behind the Iron Curtain
- Tone: Ominous,Tense,Grim,Menacing,Gritty
- Keywords: Russian [nationality], contamination, disaster, gangster, plutonium, technician
- Language: Russian,English