Plot & Details
After forays into period war drama (Regeneration) and globe-trotting bohemia (Hideous Kinky), Scottish director Gillies MacKinnon returns to social realist melodrama with this tale of a ten-year-old desperately trying to parent his heroin-addicted mother. Pure revolves around Paul (Harry Eden), a young boy who finds his life torn apart after the untimely demise of his father. Despondent in the wake of her husband's death, Paul's mother, Mel (Molly Parker), turns to a less-than-reputable old friend for consolation: Lenny (David Wenham), a long-time acquaintance of her husband's who also happens to be the main drug dealer in their West London neighborhood. Lenny divides his time between Mel and his other customers, including Louise (Keira Knightley), a pregnant, crack-addicted waitress. Paul is so accustomed to his mother's addiction that it doesn't occur to him that it's a problem, but as Mel's behavior grows more and more unstable -- and as local police start investigating the area drug scene -- Paul realizes that it's his responsibility to take care of himself and his younger brother. Pure premiered at the 2002 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/10/2002
- DVD Release Date: 07/25/2006
- Distributor(s): Indican
- Director(s): Gillies MacKinnon
- Starring: Molly Parker , David Wenham , Harry Eden , Geraldine McEwan , Keira Knightley
- Themes: Drug Addiction,Down on Their Luck,Death of a Partner,Families in Crisis
- Tone: Compassionate,Downbeat,Drab,Intimate
- Keywords: addiction, brother, death-in-family, dependence, heroin, mother, pimp
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (06-17-2005)
- Language: English