Plot & Details
A supernatural tale based on a short story by Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, this is the portrayal of a poor Captain in the Russian army in the nineteenth Century. His comrades in arms play cards nightly, but he cannot afford to join them until one night he dreams that he has gained from a mysterious aging countess her secret for winning at faro--a secret which legend has it she has sold her soul to obtain. This story has been filmed at least a dozen times, but this is by far the best version. Eight of the versions were silent films and another version was done as recently as 1965. A period piece, the settings and costumes are superb.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Fantasy
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/01/2006
- Director(s): Thorold Dickinson
- Starring: Anton Walbrook , Edith Evans , Yvonne Mitchell , Ronald Howard , Mary Jerrold
- Themes: Gambling,Ghosts
- Tone: Atmospheric,Fanciful
- Keywords: Russian [nationality], army, captain [ship], cards, dreams, supernatural