Plot & Details
A "quilombo" is a community of rural Brazil that was founded either by runaway slaves or established on an abandoned plantation, and in this documentary filmmaker Leonard Abrams offers an extensive look into the ceremonies, dances, and lifestyles of the typical quilombo, as well as the fascinating history of these tightknit communities. Brazil was a brutal place for slaves, and most did not submit to their masters willingly. Though thousands of slaves escaped, others opted to organize political and militant movements designed to force white farmers from the land.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Epic and Historical,Special Interest
- Run Time: 73min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/25/2008
- Director(s): Leonard Abrams
- Starring: Chuck D
- Keywords: Brazil, community, cultural-identity, cultural-traditions, discrimination, heritage, isolation, land-rights, oppression, plantation, resistance, slavery
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-19-2008)
- Language: Portuguese