Hollywood filmmaker Michael Tollin directs the sports drama Radio, based on a true story and adapted for the screen by Mike Rich (The Rookie). Set in a small South Carolina town during the '60s, the film stars Ed Harris as Harold Jones, a high school football coach who barely has time to spend with his daughter, Mary Helen (Sarah Drew), or his wife, Linda (Debra Winger). When Coach Jones meets the mentally challenged student who goes by the name of Radio (Cuba Gooding Jr.), he allows him to help out with his football team. While the townsfolk just aren't sure about Radio hanging around the team, the star player Johnny Clay (Riley Smith) is downright mean about it. Nevertheless, Radio continues to support the team for the next three decades. Also starring Alfre Woodard as the principal.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 109min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/24/2003
- DVD Release Date: 01/27/2004
- Distributor(s): Sony
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
S. Epatha Merkerson
- Themes: Underdogs,Race Relations,Living With Disability,Saintly Fools,Football Players
- Tone: Affectionate,Compassionate,Sentimental,Sweet,Gentle,Heartwarming,Tearjerking
disenfranchized, Civil-Rights, discrimination, disenfranchisement, football-team, high-school, mental-retardation, racial-tension, small-town
- Country of Origin: USA (10-24-2003)
- Language: English