Plot & Details
Dolph Lundgren stars in this controversial action film directed by Joseph Zito (Missing in Action). The beefy Swede plays Soviet KGB agent Lt. Nikolai, who is sent to Africa with orders to eliminate a black rebel. Eventually, Nikolai begins to side with the locals, has a red scorpion tattooed on his chest by a shaman, and helps fight against the Cubans and the Soviets. Horror fans should note Tom Savini's expert gore effects during a torture scene, while others will be pleased with a fine supporting cast including M. Emmet Walsh, Carmen Argenziano, and Brion James. The film was originally commissioned by Warner Bros., which dropped it after controversy over its South African genesis, but they might as well have dropped it for its endless desert treks and uninvolving screenplay. An unrelated Canadian sequel followed five years later.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/29/2002
- DVD Release Date: 11/03/1998
- Distributor(s): Empire Pictures
- Director(s): Joseph Zito
- Starring: Dolph Lundgren , M. Emmet Walsh , Al White , T.P. McKenna , Carmen Argenziano
- Themes: Political Unrest,Switching Sides
- Tone: Confrontational,Forceful,Gritty,Tense
- Keywords: assassination, infiltration, journey, killing, officer, oppression, soldier, against-all-odds, allegiance, double-agent, espionage, one-against-odds, rebel-leader, switching-loyalty
- Country of Origin: USA (04-19-1989)
- Language: English