Plot & Details
The first English-language film of director Roman Polanski is a psychological thriller in the vein of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) and his own later film Rosemary's Baby (1968). Catherine Deneuve stars as Carol Ledoux, a Belgian manicurist living with her sister, Helen (Yvonne Furneaux), in a London flat. Simultaneously attracted and repulsed by sex, Carol is a virgin who finds her sister's relationship with a married man, Michael (Ian Hendry), extremely disturbing. When her sister and Michael go on holiday, Carol begins to disintegrate mentally, hallucinating bizarre encounters, being forced into taking a sabbatical from her job and ultimately committing a pair of murders in her deranged state.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/16/1965
- DVD Release Date: 05/08/2001
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): Compton-Cameo
- Director(s): Roman Polanski
- Starring: Catherine Deneuve , Ian Hendry , John Fraser , Patrick Wymark , Yvonne Furneaux
- Themes: Mental Illness
- Tone: Atmospheric,Eerie,Menacing,Ominous,Paranoid,Gruesome,Claustrophobic
- Keywords: apartment,hallucination,landlord,murder,repression,suitor,virgin
- Language: English