Plot & Details
A virtual remake of its predecessor, Return of the Living Dead (1985), which itself was a tongue-in-cheek rip-off of director George Romero's Night of the Living Dead (1968), this follow-up adheres strictly to a gore and gags formula. Jesse Wilson (Michael Kenworthy), is a young boy being bullied by thugs from the neighborhood when all of them discover a sealed drum containing a zombie corpse. The release of a gas from the container reanimates the dead in a nearby graveyard, thus releasing an army of the undead, which mindlessly crave living human brains. As Jesse tries to contact the military to put a lid on the situation, the zombies are dispatched through a variety of gruesome methods. Two stars of the first film, James Karen and Thom Mathews, return in essentially the same parts, but with different names, as their characters were previously slaughtered. Followed by a third entry in the seires, Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993).
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/15/1988
- DVD Release Date: 10/05/2004
- Distributor(s): Lorimar Productions
- Director(s): Ken Wiederhorn
- Starring: James Karen , Thom Matthews , Michael Kenworthy , Marsha Dietlein , Dana Ashbrook
- Themes: Cannibals,Renegade Body Parts,Zombies
- Tone: Creepy,Humorous,Lurid,Satirical,Visceral,Gruesome
- Keywords: gas, brain, bully, cemetery, corpse, gasoline, undead, zombie
- Country of Origin: USA (01-15-1988)