Plot & Details
The 18th century Scottish legend of Robert Roy MacGregor comes to life in this stylish adaptation of the swashbuckling novel by Sir Walter Scott. Liam Neeson stars as the title character, a cattle drover and proud head of a Highlands clan who takes a one thousand pound loan from the royal Marquis of Montrose (John Hurt) in order to make a profit on some livestock that will keep his struggling people alive through the coming winter. One of the Marquis' henchmen, wily expert swordsman Archibald Cunningham (Tim Roth) learns of the loan from the nobleman's factor, Killearn (Brian Cox), and steals the money by murdering Rob Roy's best friend MacDonald (Eric Stoltz). Unable to repay the loan and unwilling to give up his land, Rob Roy becomes a fugitive, hunted by none other than Cunningham, who rapes Rob Roy's wife Mary (Jessica Lange). Scotch-British politics come to a boil over the Rob Roy affair, leading to an officially sanctioned showdown between the stoic farmer and Cunningham.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 139min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/07/1995
- DVD Release Date: 10/14/1997
- Director(s): Michael Caton-Jones
- Starring: Liam Neeson , Jessica Lange , John Hurt , Tim Roth , Eric Stoltz
- Themes: Political Unrest,Heroic Mission,Righting the Wronged
- Tone: Atmospheric,Literate,Passionate,Rousing,Sweeping,Tense,Earthy
- Keywords: family, loan, cattlemen, clan, fugitive, government, livestock, one-against-odds, oppression, rape, revenge, robbery, swordsman
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1995||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Supporting Actor||Tim Roth||Nominated|