Jeffrey Blitz's seriocomedy Rocket Science proves that many a handicap can be overcome, no matter how daunting the obstacle at hand may initially seem. Newcomer Reece Thompson plays Hal Hefner, a 15-year-old high-school student with a minor yet socially alienating (and painful) disability: he stutters uncontrollably. Determined to work through the problem, Hal opts for an extreme route -- he joins the school debating team, which sends him on a headfirst plunge into breakneck speech competitions -- and offers a much-needed boost toward correcting the problem. Blitz, like his onscreen alter ego, struggled with a stammer as a young man -- a disability he eventually surmounted -- which imparted him with a lifelong interest in speech and storytelling.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/10/2007
- DVD Release Date: 01/29/2008
- Distributor(s): Picturehouse
Reece Daniel Thompson
- Themes: High School Life,First Love,Teen Angst,Misfits and Outsiders
- Tone: Bittersweet,Quirky,Reflective,Sentimental
competition, debate, forensics [debate], high-school, stutterer
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (08-10-2007)
- Language: English