In 1990, Pretty Woman turned Julia Roberts into a star and gave Richard Gere's career a much-needed boost; for 1999, Roberts and Gere reunited with director Garry Marshall for the romantic comedy Runaway Bride. Roberts plays Maggie, who has left so many prospective husbands at the altar that she has gained notoriety as "the Runaway Bride," and a reporter (played by Richard Gere) is assigned to write a story about her. He tracks her down to a small town in Maryland where she's spending time with her family and preparing to give marriage another try. However, the more time she spends with the persistent reporter, the more second thoughts she has about her fiancé (Christopher Meloni). Hector Elizondo, another Pretty Woman alumnus, appears in the supporting cast alongside Joan Cusack, Paul Dooley, and Rita Wilson.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/30/1999
- DVD Release Date: 01/25/2000
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Themes: Members of the Press,Otherwise Engaged,Breakups and Divorces,Wedding Bells,Opposites Attract
- Tone: Bright,Gentle,Whimsical,Easygoing,Humorous
bride, engagement, ex-wife, jilted, love, reporter, runaway [from home]
- Country of Origin: USA (07-30-1999)
- Language: English