Plot & Details
Best-selling author Michael Crichton wrote and directed this science fiction thriller that combined the influences of Blade Runner (1982), comic books, and Crichton's ongoing fascination with the dangers of high technology. Tom Selleck stars as Sergeant Jack Ramsey, a single father in the near future, when robots have largely replaced humans in performing menial labor. However, the robots occasionally malfunction, threatening human life and requiring a specialist like Jack, who terminates the haywire "runaways." Investigating a particularly nasty series of recent cases, Jack and his new partner Karen Thompson (Cynthia Rhodes) discover a connection between the runaways and Charles Luther (Kiss frontsman Gene Simmons). Luther, a maniacal genius, is masterminding a plot to create an army of killing machines. With time running out, it's up to Jack and Karen to match wits with Luther and save humanity.
- Genre(s): Science Fiction
- Run Time: 100min.
- DVD Release Date: 08/22/2000
- Director(s): Michael Crichton
- Starring: Tom Selleck , Cynthia Rhodes , Gene Simmons , Kirstie Alley , Stan Shaw
- Themes: Robots and Androids,Technology Run Amok,Computer Paranoia,Race Against Time,Terrorism,Future Dystopias
- Tone: Menacing,Paranoid,Slick,Tense,Chilly,Frantic,Rousing,Atmospheric,Quirky,Visceral
- Keywords: android, experiment, friendship, killing, police, bad-guy, good-guy, investigation, killler-robot, machine, murder, rampage, robot, technology, terrorism, world-domination
- Language: English