Plot & Details
Santitos is a character-driven comedy about a young Mexican woman who has to come to terms with the loss of her teenage daughter. Esperanza's daughter Blanca suddenly and mysteriously dies in the hospital where she was having her tonsils removed. Shortly afterward, the vision of a saint appears on the greasy glass door of the oven, telling Esperanza that Blanca is not dead. Despite warnings from her best friend and the local priest, she embarks on an incredible journey across the country and over the border that helps her shed her inhibitions one by one. Out comes a different Esperanza, a liberated independent woman who is also sexually uninhibited. Santitos was screened as part of the Filmmakers of the Present section of the 1999 Locarno International Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Foreign,Drama
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/28/2000
- DVD Release Date: 09/16/2003
- Distributor(s): Latin Universal
- Director(s): Alejandro Springall
- Starring: Dolores Heredia , Demián Bichir , Alberto Estrella , Roberto Cobo , Ana Bertha Espin
- Themes: Sexual Awakening,Journey of Self-Discovery,Death of a Child
- Tone: Bittersweet,Elegiac,Humorous,Poignant,Quirky
- Keywords: daughter, grief, mother, priest, saint, trip, vision [mystical]
- Country of Origin: USA (01-28-2000)
- Language: Spanish