Plot & Details
This third film version of Maxwell Anderson's play Saturday's Children stars Claude Rains as the impecunious but proud father of a large brood. Rains' daughter Anne Shirley marries idealistic John Garfield, a would-be inventor who works for Shirley's father. Feeling that he's been tricked into marriage, Garfield gives every indication of turning out to be as much "failure" as Rains. Only when Garfield and Shirley are on the verge of breaking up do they realize that material gain is not the only barometer of success in life. Previous filmizations of this story include Saturday's Children (29), starring Corinne Griffith, and Maybe It's Love (35), costarring Ross Alexander and Gloria Stuart.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/12/1995
- Director(s): Vincent Sherman
- Starring: John Garfield , Anne Shirley , Claude Rains , Roscoe Karns , George Tobias
- Themes: Fathers and Daughters,Foibles of Marriage
- Tone: Poignant,Sentimental,Warm
- Keywords: couple,daughter,employment,father,fortune [wealth],husband,insurance,inventor,large-family,love-vs-career,marriage,office-worker,pregnancy,unemployment,worker
- Language: English