Plot & Details
They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and in this look at one of the most polarizing religious and sexual debates in America, filmmaker Robert Cary attempts to reconcile homosexuality with Christianity. Mark (Chad Allen) is a young gay man who has fallen into a dangerous cycle of hard drugs and risky sex. Recognizing that his sibling may not have the strength to pull himself back from the edge, Mark's brother checks him into the Genesis House Christian retreat in New Mexico -- a place far removed from the temptations of the big city. Genesis House is run by a deeply spiritual, middle-aged couple named Gayle (Judith Light) and Ted (Stephen Lang). After losing a battle with sin back when she was young, Gayle has dedicated her entire life to rescuing young homosexuals from their own inner demons. In order to help Mark through the process, Gayle assigns Scott (Robert Gant) -- one of the program's advanced "fifth phasers" -- as the newcomer's mentor. When Gayle notices that Mark and Scott's relationship is intensifying, she sees the development as a threat and fights back in order to prevent her carefully controlled world from falling apart. The spectre of damnation looming constantly over their shoulders, Mark and Scott are finally forced to confront the truth about their own true natures.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/05/2008
- DVD Release Date: 01/20/2009
- Distributor(s): First Run
- Director(s): Robert Cary
- Starring: Chad Allen , Robert Gant , Judith Light , Stephen Lang , Robert Baker
- Themes: Crisis of Faith,Religious Zealotry,Questioning Sexuality,Forbidden Love,Haunted By the Past,Journey of Self-Discovery
- Tone: Compassionate,Intimate
- Keywords: Christianity, drug-addiction, homosexual, mentor, retreat [sanctuary], sexual-identity
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-05-2008)
- Language: English