Plot & Details
The 1939 adventure classic Gunga Din is transferred from British India to the American West, courtesy of Frank Sinatra's "Clan." Sinatra, Dean Martin and Peter Lawford play three cavalry officers, always ready for a brawl but willing to die for each other if need be. Sammy Davis Jr. a cavalry bugler who has aspirations of being a combat soldier. The three officers and the bugler take on a Napoleonic Native American chief, who plans to unify all the tribes and kill every white man in sight. Davis does his "Gunga" bit by blowing his bugle and warning the approaching cavalry that they're riding into a trap. About all that isn't pilfered from Gunga Din is the death of the noble bugler; Davis survives being shot up by the Indians with little more than a flesh wound! Sergeants Three also stars another Sinatra crony, Joey Bishop, playing the role originally essayed in Gunga Din by Robert Coote.
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 113min.
- DVD Release Date: 05/13/2008
- Distributor(s): United Artists
- Director(s): John Sturges
- Starring: Frank Sinatra , Dean Martin , Sammy Davis, Jr. , Peter Lawford , Joey Bishop
- Themes: White People Among Indians,Taming the West
- Tone: Gritty,Rousing,Tense
- Keywords: America, aspiration, attack, battle [war], chief, counter-attack, native, outpost, plans, sergeant, soldier, trapped, tribe, warning, west, Native-American, army, bad-guy, cavalry, good-guy, officer
- Language: English