Plot & Details
Following up on his 1998 art-house hit Lovers of the Arctic Circle, Julio Medem spins this audacious film about flesh and forgetting. Lucia (Paz Vega) is a young Madrid waitress who is devastated to hear of the death of her old flame Lorenzo (Tristan Ulloa). Hoping to flee her troubles, she seeks out a beautiful island paradise her dead lover often talked about. There she meets and befriends Carlos (Daniel Freyre) and Elena (Najwa Nimri) who are also refugees of personal tragedies. Unbeknownst to all of them, the three each have a connection to Lorenzo. Years previously, Elena had a spontaneous fling with Lorenzo on the same island on the beach. Nine months later, she bore his daughter, Luna (Silvia Llanos), but unable to raise a child on her own, she enlisted the help of a nurse, Belen (Elena Anaya). In attempting to reconnect with the child he never knew, Lorenzo had a passionate affair with Belen, one which caused her to neglect Luna, with tragic results. As Lucia slowly learns these details, she recalls the book Lorenzo was writing just before his death, and soon the lines between fact and fiction begin to slip away. This film was screened at the 2001 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Foreign
- Run Time: 129min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/12/2002
- DVD Release Date: 03/25/2003
- Distributor(s): Palm Pictures
- Director(s): Julio Medem
- Starring: Paz Vega , Tristán Ulloa , Najwa Nimri , Daniel Freire , Elena Anaya
- Themes: Death of a Child,Writer's Life,Brief Encounters,Love Triangles,Starting Over
- Tone: Atmospheric,Intimate,Passionate,Bittersweet,Sentimental
- Keywords: daughter, island, sex, sexual-attraction, writer
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (07-12-2002)
- Language: Spanish