Plot & Details
Drawing equally from Quentin Tarantino, Hong Kong action spectaculars, Japanese anime, and the over-the-top fashion sensibility of Tokyo's Shibuya district, Katsuhito Ishii spins this dizzying propulsive flick about lovers on the run and the weirdest band of gangsters on the planet. Toshiko Momojiri (Shie Koinata) dreams of a life away from the grinding tedium of working in a run-down hotel and away from her perverted, pawing uncle who manages the place. While driving to the post office, she literally runs into Kuro Samehada (played by Japanese indie film icon Tadanobu Asano), a thief who stole a pile of loot from his former gang and is currently fleeing them dressed only in his underpants. He jumps in the driver's seat, and soon love is born. The gang is lead by a dandy of a boss (Kishibe Ittoku) who obsessively collects energy-drink ads while his son Mitsuru (Shingo Tsurumi) -- heir apparent of the gang -- sports a snow-white jumpsuit and platinum locks; they are single-minded in their lust for Kuro's pilfered loot. Meanwhile, Toshiko's uncle puts a bounty on his niece and a hit out on his new competitor for her attention. Ultra-violence, bizarre sex, and killer costumes ensue. This film was screened at the 1998 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/16/2003
- DVD Release Date: 07/08/2003
- Distributor(s): Kino
- Director(s): Katsuhito Ishii
- Starring: Tadanobu Asano , Sie Kohinata , Ittoku Kishibe , Susumu Terashima , Kimie Shingyoji
- Themes: Lovers on the Lam,Criminal's Revenge
- Tone: Humorous,Quirky,Stylized
- Keywords: accident, chase, couple, gangster, pursuit, robbery, runaway [from home], uncle
- Language: Japanese