Plot & Details
This stirring wartime morale-booster stars John Clements in a virtual reprise of his "redeemed hero" role in The Four Feathers. Clements is cast as Lieutenant Stacey, a Fleet Arm Pilot whose recklessness causes the death of a fellow airman. Cashiered from the Service, Stacey becomes a mercenary charter pilot in the Mediterranean Island of Palmos. When the Nazis take over the island in the early stages of WWII, Stacey remains, but only because of his romance with cabaret singer Kay Gordon (Ann Todd). After his best friend (Edward Chapman) is murdered by the Nazis, Stacey's long-suppressed patriotism resurfaces, prompting him to embark upon a suicide mission to destroy a German dam site. Reportedly in production for 18 months, Ships With Wings was largely filmed on the decks of such authentic British aircraft carriers as the Ark Royal. At 140 minutes, the film is too long by half, but it never fails to come to life during the heart-stopping aerial sequences.
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Thriller,War
- Run Time: 102min.
- Director(s): Sergei Nolbandov
- Starring: John Clements , Leslie Banks , Jane Baxter , Ann Todd , Basil Sydney
- Themes: War in the Sky,Redemption
- Tone: Tense,Stirring
- Keywords: accident, aerial, barnstorming, daughter, death, love-triangle, mistress, romance, warning, airborne, courtmartial, high-seas, scheme, war