Plot & Details
More a "greatest hits" movie than an actual stand-alone film of its own, Shogun Assassin is the delirious hybrid of two episodes of the popular Baby Cart series dubbed into English and fused together into a hyper-violent bloodbath ballet that's sure to entertain the samurai-film enthusiast with a strong stomach. The swords fly fast and furious as a wondering shogun is forced into exile after being framed and his wife murdered. Giving his infant son the choice between the merciful release of death (represented by a ball) and the life of constant threat and danger (a sword) the child reaches for the sword, marking the beginning of a brutally violent struggle for survival among a sea of would-be assassins. From this point on plot is secondary, focusing instead on a series of violent vignettes in which limbs fly freely in a furious blur of lightning swords. Utilizing masterful swordsmanship in addition to a cleverly designed and lethal baby carriage, father and son are in a constant state of ultra-alert adrenalized awareness, conscious that instant death may lurk beyond every carefully chosen path.
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 89min.
- DVD Release Date: 07/11/2006
- Director(s): Robert Houston, Kenji Misumi
- Starring: Tomisaburo Wakayama , Masahiro Tomikawa , Kayo Matsuo
- Themes: Survival in the Wilderness,Fathers and Sons,Lone Wolves,Righting the Wronged,Death of a Partner,One Against the Mob,Out For Revenge
- Tone: Menacing,Rousing,Forceful,Quirky,Slick,Tense,Atmospheric,Visceral
- Keywords: killing, samurai, wife, conflict, one-against-odds, revenge, sword
- Language: English,Japanese