Plot & Details
This gripping drama is based on the real-life story of Mikal Gilmore, a respected journalist whose brother Gary Gilmore was a felon convicted of murder. In 1977, after he was sentenced to death, Gary Gilmore generated international controversy when he demanded that his lawyers call off all attempts to appeal his sentence and requested that his execution be carried out as quickly as possible. As activists for and against the issue of capital punishment debated Gilmore's demand, his brothers Frank and Mikal stepped forward to request a stay of execution, in hopes of forestalling their brother's death despite his public requests. Based on the book of the same name by Mikal Gilmore, Shot in the Heart examines the close, if uneasy, bond between the Gilmore brothers, and the family history of abuse and violence that Mikal believed helped shape his brother into a killer. Shot in the Heart stars Giovanni Ribisi, Eric Bogosian, Lee Tergesen, Amy Madigan, and Sam Shepard; produced for the premium-cable service HBO, Shot in the Heart first aired on October 13, 2001.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/18/2002
- DVD Release Date: 03/12/2002
- Director(s): Agnieszka Holland
- Starring: Giovanni Ribisi , Elias Koteas , Amy Madigan
- Themes: Mothers and Sons,Death Row,Sibling Relationships
- Tone: Bleak,Confrontational,Disturbing,Grim,Talky,Tense
- Keywords: brother,capital-punishment,execution,murder,writer
- Language: English