Plot & Details
This documentary profiles poet/performance artist Bob Flanagan, who was born with cystic fibrosis. Flanagan explains, with engaging humor, how his obsession with controlled, self-inflicted pain has helped him to deal with his uncontrollable suffering. His philosophy forces one to look at sado-masochism with fresh eyes. The film includes explicit scenes of genital self-mutilation.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/07/1997
- DVD Release Date: 09/17/1999
- Director(s): Kirby Dick
- Themes: Dying Young,Living With Disability
- Tone: Bittersweet,Disturbing,Humorous,Poignant,Quirky,Wry
- Keywords: artist, cystic-fibrosis, domination [sexual], masochism, obsession, poet, sadomasochism, self-mutilation, terminal-illness, wife
- Language: English
Independent Spirit Awards
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1997||Independent Spirit Awards||Truer Than Fiction Award||Kirby Dick||Nominated|