Rooney Mara stars as Emily Taylor; her husband Martin (Channing Tatum) is a young businessman who, as the film opens, is soon to be released from prison after serving a few years for financial fraud. Overcome with stress, the mentally fragile Emily performs a quasi-suicide attempt and is put in the care of Dr. Jonathan Banks (Jude Law), a workaholic psychiatrist who convinces Emily to see him once a week for therapy. Jonathan is intrigued enough by Emily's story to seek counsel from her former therapist, Dr. Victoria Siebert (Catherine Zeta-Jones). One night Emily commits a horrific act that she claims not to remember because she was taking the medication prescribed to her by Jonathan, leading to a very public legal battle that leads to Jonathan taking a major public blow to his reputation. This turn of events prompts the chastened doctor to look deeper into Emily's past. Directed by Steven Soderbergh from a script by his regular collaborator Scott Z. Burns.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/08/2013
- DVD Release Date: 05/21/2013
- Distributor(s): Open Road
- Themes: Drug Addiction,Woman In Jeopardy,Doctors and Patients,Dangerous Attraction,Mental Illness
- Tone: Stylized,Cerebral,Gloomy,Hallucinatory,Ominous
anxiety, ex-convict, mental-health, psychiatry
- Country of Origin: USA (02-08-2013)
- Language: English