Following the smash hit The Sixth Sense (1999) and the under-performing follow-up Unbreakable (2000), directing phenom M. Night Shyamalan returns to the summer box office landscape that served as the backdrop for his cinematic breakthrough. In Signs, another paranormal outing for the writer-director, Shyamalan explores the eerie implications of a 500-foot crop circle that mysteriously appears on the Bucks County, PA farm of reverend Graham Hess (Mel Gibson). As Hess and his family (Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, Abigail Breslin) try to take stock of what the sign means, and how its message incorporates into their faith, they start to get the feeling they are not alone in the fields behind their house. Shyamalan re-teams with producers Frank Marshall, Sam Mercer and Kathleen Kennedy, and produces the project in association with his Blinding Edge Pictures banner and Touchstone Pictures.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Horror
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/02/2002
- DVD Release Date: 01/07/2003
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
M. Night Shyamalan
- Themes: Redemption,Small-Town Life,Miraculous Events,Haunted By the Past,Farm Life,Crisis of Faith,Evil Aliens
- Tone: Humorous,Meditative,Reflective,Tense,Eerie,Ominous,Understated
alien [not human], crop-circles, faith, grief, invasion, minister, mystery [unexplained phenomenon]
- Country of Origin: USA (08-02-2002)
- Language: English