Plot & Details
Bruce Dern stars as the caretaker of a greenhouse located on a group of space stations that are sent into orbit. The Earth has been stripped clean of foliage, and the greenhouse contains the last remaining greenery from the planet. Dern's staff includes three human beings and a trio of endearing robots named Huey, Dewey, and Louie. When word arrives, from the powers that be, that the greenhouse is to be destroyed (the space station is more valuable to man when hauling cargo and not "preserving the ecology of the universe"), Dern decides to ignore the order. He also decides to go it alone, "circle the wagons" with his robots, and fend off all outside attempts to eliminate his ecological paradise. Special-effects maven Douglas Trumbull directs, Michael Cimino was one of the screenwriters, and Peter "PDQ Bach" Schickele wrote the musical score.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Science Fiction
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/10/1972
- DVD Release Date: 03/18/1998
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Douglas Trumbull
- Starring: Bruce Dern , Cliff Potts , Ron Rifkin , Jesse Vint
- Themes: Robots and Androids,Future Dystopias,Space Travel,Lone Wolves,Fighting the System,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Atmospheric,Compassionate,Earnest,Passionate,Reflective,Understated
- Keywords: caretaker [custodian],destruction,ecology,ecosystem,extinction,good [quality],guardian,natural-resources,plants [botany],post-nuclear-holocaust,project [plan],robot,space-station
- Language: English