Plot & Details
A young Lakota Sioux, adopted by a wealthy Jewish couple in Beverly Hills, gets in touch with his cultural roots and solves a mystery in this thriller. Because of his upbringing, Jesse Rainfeather Goldman knows almost nothing of Native American traditions. He is doing his internship when he suddenly receives an amulet from the Lakota reservation in Sioux City. It is from his real mother. Jesse's curiosity is piqued and he immediately travels to his birthplace to learn why she sent it. Unfortunately, by the time he arrives, his mother's body is discovered in the smoldering wreckage of her home. She was shot before she was burned. Jesse's investigation into her death is not welcomed by the local captain of police and his assistant. He is almost beaten to death, but is saved by his grandfather, a shaman, and a Lakota woman. The newly healed Jesse begins to explore his tribe's customs. He then contacts his mother's spirit and she leads him to the film's conclusion.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/15/1994
- DVD Release Date: 08/30/2005
- Director(s): Lou Diamond Phillips, Jim Goldthwait
- Starring: Lou Diamond Phillips , Ralph Waite , Melinda Dillon , Salli Richardson , Adam Roarke
- Themes: Amateur Sleuths,Discovering One's Heritage,Adoption
- Keywords: Native-American,adoption,cross-cultural-relations,doctor/nurse,grandfather,investigation,investigator,killing,murder,roots [origins]