Plot & Details
In Sirocco Humphrey Bogart is cast as Harry Smith, a casino operator in 1925 Damascus. For a tidy profit, Smith runs guns to the Arab insurrectionists attempting to overthrow the French Protectorate. Chastised by French Colonel Feroud (Lee J. Cobb) for his lack of morals and political convictions, Smith merely sneers in agreement. Before long, he has become romantically involved with Feroud's mistress Violetta (Marta Toren), who hopes to use Harry as means of escape to Cairo. Only after being betrayed by the Arabs and roughed up by the French authorities does our "hero" begin to behave ethically -- but by then, it's too late. A weak attempt by Bogart's Santana Productions to duplicate the success of Casablanca.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/02/2009
- DVD Release Date: 01/21/2003
- Director(s): Curtis Bernhardt
- Starring: Humphrey Bogart , David Bond , Märta Torén , Peter Brocco , Lee J. Cobb
- Themes: Political Unrest
- Tone: Austere,Downbeat,Somber
- Keywords: Arab, Syria, casino, insurrection, mistress, political-unrest
- Language: English