Plot & Details
Heidi (Abbie Cornish) is a pretty teenager who leaves home after getting caught making out with her mother's boyfriend. She impulsively travels to Jindabyne, a snowy ski resort town, because she once met a man from there who said she should call him if she was ever in town. When that connection doesn't materialize, Heidi is forced to fend for herself with little money. Her first night in town, she goes to a bar, drinks, meets a boy, and goes home with him. She doesn't even notice Joe (Sam Worthington) watching her. The next morning, Heidi is dismayed to find that the guy she slept with has a girlfriend, and is on his way back to Sydney. Desperate and broke, she goes looking for work. Despite her good looks and charm, she's a bit too aggressive in trying to win friends and influence people. That night, she hooks up with Joe, and senses a connection between them. Instead of taking her home, he takes her to a motel. He seems reluctant to get involved with her, but she is persistent. The next morning, he hurriedly leaves for work. Joe works for his father, a wealthy farmer. Heidi meets the motel owner, Irene (Lynette Curran), who kindly offers to let her stay a couple of days, until she finds a job. Heidi ends up working at the local gas station with Bianca (Hollie Andrew). She begins to settle in, but her relationship with Joe deteriorates, her emotional instability takes hold. Somersault marks the feature debut of writer/director Cate Shortland. The film won 13 of the Australian Film Institute's annual awards in 2004, and was selected by the Film Society of Lincoln Center and the Museum of Modern Art for inclusion in the 2005 edition of New Directors/New Films.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/21/2006
- DVD Release Date: 07/25/2006
- Distributor(s): Magnolia
- Director(s): Cate Shortland
- Starring: Abbie Cornish , Sam Worthington , Lynette Curran , Erik Thomson , Hollie Andrew
- Themes: Misfits and Outsiders,Sexual Awakening,Redemption,Journey of Self-Discovery
- Tone: Bleak,Intimate,Melancholy,Understated,Wintry
- Keywords: coming-of-age,farmer's-son,forgiveness,gas-station,gas-station-attendant,guilt,impulsiveness,independence,relationship,self-awareness,sex,sexuality,ski-resort,teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-28-2005)
- Language: English