A woman discovers that when it comes to love, sometimes opposites really do attract in this romantic comedy-drama. Kenya (Sanaa Lathan) is a successful African-American lawyer in her mid-thirties whose personal life is not going as well as her career. While she's attractive and intelligent, Kenya has rather high standards and isn't willing to settle for a man who isn't everything she wants. While attending a party, Kenya is introduced to Brian (Simon Baker), a landscape architect who handles the gardening at her host's mansion. Brian is immediately and obviously attracted to Kenya, through she doesn't feel the same way at all. However, she likes his work and hires him to refurbish her garden; before long, he asks her out on a date, and against her better judgment she accepts. While Kenya and Brian have little in common, in time they hit it off, and a romance begins to blossom between them. However, Brian happens to be white, which ruffles some feathers among Kenya's friends and family, who try to find her a more suitable, African-American suitor. Also starring Mike Epps, Donald Faison, Blair Underwood, and Alfre Woodard, Something New was the first feature film for director Sanaa Hamri, who previously established herself by directing music videos.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/03/2006
- DVD Release Date: 05/16/2006
- Distributor(s): Focus Features
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Thirtysomething Life,Looking For Love,Women's Friendship,Opposites Attract,Interracial/Cross-Cultural Romance
- Tone: Light,Reflective,Sexy,Intimate,Bittersweet,Wry
gardener, interracial, landscaping, lawyer, prejudice, race-relations
- Country of Origin: USA (02-03-2006)
- Language: English