Plot & Details
The feminist outrage of Thelma & Louise (1991) screenwriter Callie Khouri blended superbly with director Lasse Hallstrom's predilection for stories about idiosyncratic families in this effective comedy-drama. Julia Roberts stars as Grace King Bichon, a prim small-town wife who is incensed when she learns that her husband Eddie Bichon (Dennis Quaid) is having an affair, and that it's not his first dalliance. Grace embarrasses her husband publicly -- then moves in with her wise-mouthed little sister Emma Rae (the scene-stealing Kyra Sedgwick). Grace becomes even angrier when her mother Georgia (Gena Rowlands) and wealthy father, horse breeder Wyly King (Robert Duvall), side with Eddie in the conflict, fearing the small-town gossip that's sure to swirl around their daughter's marital woes. However, when Georgia finds that Wyly has been a long-term philanderer as well, she kicks him out of his palatial home, embroiling the entire King family in a war between the sexes. Something to Talk About went through several title changes, variously being named "Game of Love" and "Grace Under Pressure" before producers settled on the title of the popular Bonnie Raitt song.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/04/1995
- DVD Release Date: 12/14/1999
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Director(s): Lasse Hallström
- Starring: Julia Roberts , Dennis Quaid , Robert Duvall , Gena Rowlands , Kyra Sedgwick
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Infidelity,Date from Hell,Crumbling Marriages,Eccentric Families
- Tone: Racy,Talky,Affectionate,Humorous,Wry,Easygoing
- Keywords: extramarital-affair, family, horse-breeder, horseback-riding, mother, scandal, sister
- Language: English