Plot & Details
One of the shortest and sweetest of Betty Grable's Technicolor musicals, Song of the Islands casts the Leggy One as Eileen, the daughter of Hawaii-based Irish planter Dennis O'Brien (Thomas Mitchell). For many years, O'Brien has been carrying on a feud with local cattle baron Harper (George Barbier), who covets a patch of beach land that O'Brien owns but won't relinquish. It so happens that Barbier has a handsome son named Jeff (Victor Mature), who upon returning to Hawaii from the Mainland immediately falls in love with Eileen. Before the feud can be patched up, the audience is treated to an endless supply of music and dancing, with both Betty Grable and Victor Mature generously displaying the physical attributes which brought them worldwide fame. Incidentally, some wonderful outtake footage of Song of the Islands exists, featuring Grable and Mature giggling their way through a tender love scene.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 75min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/23/2009
- Director(s): Walter Lang
- Starring: Betty Grable , Victor Mature , Jack Oakie , Thomas Mitchell , George Barbier
- Tone: Bright,Passionate,Sweet
- Keywords: conflict, farming, feud, ranch, romance, family, forbidden-love