Plot & Details
Anarchism, socialism, anarcho-socialism: there were enough different varieties of these three political philosophies to fuel hundreds of political movements in late 19th-century Europe. This Italian film looks at the life of one committed radical anarchist from this period. Giulio Manieri is true to his principles and his cause, and he attempts to get a revolution going in a small provincial town. The people, alas, are apathetic, and instead of instigating a revolution, Giulio finds himself imprisoned in solitary confinement for 10 years. When he is transferred to group imprisonment and finally meets contemporary political prisoners, they have nothing but disdain for his beliefs. Their disagreements are unimportant when it becomes clear that an even more radical scheme is brewing.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/16/2001
- DVD Release Date: 05/17/2005
- Director(s): Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Crisis of Conscience
- Tone: Gloomy,Melancholy,Moody,Reflective
- Keywords: Italy, anarchy, radical, revolution, solitary-confinement
- Country of Origin: Italy (03-05-1975)