Plot & Details
Director Bob Fosse's fact-based tale of Playboy centerfold Dorothy Stratten's short life and gruesome death focuses less on Stratten (played by Mariel Hemingway) than on her husband/manager, sleazoid pornographer and all-around failure Paul Snider (Eric Roberts, ideally cast). He sees the young beauty as his meal ticket and sets out to pimp her in the adult entertainment business. He marries her and appoints himself her career manager; soon after, she attracts the attention of Playboy executives and wins a spot in the magazine. As her success increases however, so does Snider's alienation as he finds himself left out in the cold. His jealousy begins to consume him; she spurns him on the advice of her new friends; he goes berserk and confronts her. The same murder-suicide inspired the made-for-television Death of a Centerfold. This was choreographer/filmmaker Bob Fosse's final film.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/20/2003
- DVD Release Date: 11/10/1998
- Director(s): Bob Fosse
- Starring: Mariel Hemingway , Eric Roberts , Cliff Robertson , Carroll Baker , Roger Rees
- Themes: Domestic Abuse,Rise and Fall Stories,Crimes of Passion
- Tone: Bleak,Disturbing,Harsh,Lurid,Moody,Ominous
- Keywords: fame, jealousy, killing, beauty [physical], centerfold, husband, manager, spouse-abuse, stars [celebrities]
- Language: English