Plot & Details
The Last King of Scotland director Kevin McDonald teams with screenwriter Matthew Michael Carnahan for this American adaptation of the hit British miniseries concerning the suspicious circumstances that set a rising congressman and a dogged reporter on a dangerous collision course. U.S. congressman Stephen Collins (Ben Affleck) is handsome, unflappable, and ascending the ladder of power with unprecedented speed. He's the future of his political party, and as the chairman of a committee assigned to oversee defense spending, he's got all the right connections. As the presidential race draws near, Washington insiders begin to speculate that Collins will earn his party's nomination for the country's top job. The prospect of Collins becoming president seems less and less likely, however, when his research assistant/mistress is viciously murdered, and some unsavory truths begin to surface. Collins was once a close friend to Cal McAffrey (Russell Crowe), now a top reporter in the nation's capital. Assigned the task of investigating Collins by his ruthless editor, Cameron (Oscar winner Helen Mirren), McAffrey recruits fellow reporter Della (Rachel McAdams) in order to track down the truth and identify the killer. But McAffrey has just walked into a cover-up of unprecedented proportions, and in a game where billions of dollars are at stake, life, love, and integrity are luxuries that simply cannot be afforded.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 127min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/17/2009
- DVD Release Date: 09/01/2009
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Kevin Macdonald
- Starring: Russell Crowe , Ben Affleck , Rachel McAdams , Helen Mirren , Robin Wright Penn
- Themes: Members of the Press,Scandals and Cover-Ups,Murder Investigations,Political Corruption
- Tone: Ominous,Paranoid,Tense
- Keywords: Congress,investigation,mistress,murder,politician,reporter,scandal,contractor,corruption,cover-up,editor
- Country of Origin: USA (04-17-2009)
- Language: English