Plot & Details
Stigmata is a supernatural suspense story about good, evil, and faith. Frankie Paige (Patricia Arquette) is a hair stylist in her mid-20s who has no strong religious convictions until odd things start happening to her after she's given a rosary by her mother: she begins speaking with another person's voice; unknown and unseen forces start to attack her; and she develops stigmata, bleeding wounds that spontaneously appear on her wrists, feet, and side, as Christ was wounded at Calvary. Some people believe that a holy miracle has been visited on Frankie, though no one can say why. A Cardinal from the Vatican (Jonathan Pryce) sends a priest, Father Andrew Kiernan (Gabriel Byrne), to investigate Frankie and her condition; after getting a first-hand look, Father Andrew finds himself less concerned with whether Frankie's wounds are a legitimate miracle and more concerned with saving her life. Billy Corgan, leader of the rock group The Smashing Pumpkins, composed the score for Stigmata in collaboration with keyboardist Mike Garson.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/10/1999
- DVD Release Date: 02/29/2000
- Distributor(s): MGM/UA
- Director(s): Rupert Wainwright
- Starring: Patricia Arquette , Gabriel Byrne , Jonathan Pryce , Nia Long , Thomas Kopache
- Themes: Message From God,Crisis of Faith
- Tone: Atmospheric,Disturbing,Eerie,Gloomy,Hallucinatory,Harsh,Menacing
- Keywords: Cardinal,Vatican,beautician,investigation,religion,rosary,suppression
- Country of Origin: USA (09-10-1999)
- Language: English