Plot & Details
Any film with a cast that runs the age-and-experience gamut from Ione Skye to Maureen O'Sullivan is certainly worth at least one look. Stranded casts Ione as a lonely 17-year-old, living in a remote farmhouse with her grandmother, O'Sullivan. Late one evening, five space aliens crash-land near the farm. Holding Skye and O'Sullivan prisoner, the extraterrestrials run afoul of the law when one of them impulsively kills Ione's boyfriend, who happens to be the son of local hothead and rabblerouser Michael Greene. Despite the aliens' laser weaponry, sheriff Joe Morton intends to treat the incident as a standard hostage crisis, but Greene wants to storm the farmhouse, with no consideration of Skye and O'Sullivan's safety. In true "Stockholm syndrome" fashion, the hostages befriend the more likeable aliens--one of whom is played by Flea, bass player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A curious blend of several genres, Stranded has true cult-classic potential, should any distributor want to give it a second chance on the midnight-movie circuit.
- Genre(s): Science Fiction
- Run Time: 80min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/20/1987
- Distributor(s): New Line Cinema
- Director(s): Tex Fuller
- Starring: Ione Skye , Joe Morton , Maureen O'Sullivan , Susan Barnes , Cameron Dye
- Themes: Benign Aliens,Small-Town Life
- Tone: Compassionate,Poignant,Tense
- Keywords: alien [not human], friendship, on-the-run, stranded
- Country of Origin: USA (11-20-1987)